Signs which show your home wiring needs an upgrade

We all rely on our homes wiring every day, but give little thought to the condition it’s in, as most of the wires are concealed in the walls, ceiling or under floors. It’s only when a problem develops that we think to call an electrician, but often that can be too late as wiring and electrical malfunctions are the main cause of house fires, loss of property and life. Your local electricians in Reedy Creek can check your home, give you peace of mind as they catch any problems early to prevent any electrical issues developing.

These signs show that your home may need an electrical upgrade:

Using extension cords or strip connectors

If your home is a few years old its wiring was probably not designed for the huge number of appliances most homes use today. This means you may have to use strip connectors or extension cords to accommodate your needs. This can cause problems such as:

  • Overloaded circuits
  • Tripping hazard with extension wires on the floor
  • Extension cords can become frayed, pinched or bent causing a short, tripped circuit breakers, damaged outlets
  • An increased fire risk
  • Constantly blown fuses

Having one of the friendly electricians in Reedy Creek install new circuits and adequate power outlets can reduce your risks of break downs and eliminate fire risks.

Strange smells

Often when you first use an appliance it will briefly give off a strange smell as it settles down, this is normal, but should stop very quickly. If you ever have smells coming from outlets, fuse box or breaker panels, this is a sure sign that you need your wiring checked, so call your friendly electricians in Reedy Creek for a wiring checkup without delay.

Lights Flickering

Most light bulbs use a low level of power so flickering light is usually a sign that there are too many appliances drawing current from that circuit or you have an electrical issue. It can also be because the wattage is too high for the circuit.

Sparks or Buzzing

When you have sparks or buzzing sounds coming from outlets, appliances or control panels it’s not normal and you should have your whole system checked.

When electricity moves through your electrical system, it should be totally invisible and silent.

Sparks and buzzing indicate loose connections as the current needs to jump gaps causing the spark or sounds.

Hot fittings, wires or outlets

Some appliances will get warm to the touch or even hot such as toasters, hair dryers and anything that’s designed to produce heat or has moving parts like electric fans or drills. But this should only be felt from the body of the appliance never on the cords or switches. If you find these parts are heated then do not use them and call your local electricians in Reedy Creek.

If you feel there is a problem with the wiring in your home or you have any of the above issues such as the need to use lots of extension cords, flickering lights, unusual smells from any electrical fitting or appliances, hot connectors or outlets it is very important for your family’s safety to contact your friendly electricians in Reedy Creek and have your wiring inspected and upgraded.