If you have any old type two pronged outlets in your home, then it is important for your families’ safety that you have an Electrician on the Gold Coast upgrade your wring and Switchboard
Prevention is always better than the problems that can happen through faulty wiring. Electrical accidents and fires can and do destroy many properties each year. Old switchboards and wiring can cause shocks and loss of life.
The Queensland Government demands than anyone doing any type of electrical work in Queensland is a licensed electrician, they must hold an electrical work licence or hold an electrical contractors licence.
- All work must be done according to the technical standards and legislative requirements.
- All work must have a certificate of test that includes the electrician’s details as well as details about the work done and equipment installed
- All electrical contractors are required to have at least a minimum Public liability of $5 million dollars as well as a consumer’s protection component of $50,000
- It is advisable to check the licence of your electrician’s to confirm that is valid and current before allowing them to work on your property, see electricalsafety.qld.gov.au
- Contact the Electrical Safety Office if you think any completed work was not done correctly
Growing power demands
Most homes have over recent years, drastically increased the number as well as the quality of home appliances and gadgets used.
Unfortunately, if the wiring in the home is not upgraded and the old two pronged outlets replaced, then there is a danger that your system could become overloaded and dangerous.
Safety in Renovations
Before you start demolishing walls or drilling holes in them it is important to turn off all the circuits in those areas and turn them on again only when you are sure all switches and wires are well covered.
Even if you know what to do, you are not permitted to do any electrical work and can be heavily fined for doing so. All your insurance will become nullified and you will be criminally libel for any accidents or damage.
Modern household electrical circuits and switchboards have a variety of safety features including a proper earth stake that is able to dissipate static discharges such as lightning strikes.
There is a huge drain at times on the state’s power grid and this can cause power fluctuations and surges. These can damage all types of sensitive electrical equipment including TV, computers, projectors and sound systems. Ask your Electrician on the Gold Coast to install surge protectors when the replace the two pin outlets and upgrade your home’s wiring to comply with the latest Queensland safety standards.
Even with all of the safety features, it is still wise during a storm to avoid using fixed line telephones or anything that is attached to sensitive electrical equipment such as wired in headphones.
Having your home brought up to the latest safety standards is not only a sensible way to protect your family and property; it is a legal requirement in Queensland and the rest of Australia. The old two pin plugs had no earth connection unlike the new safety outlets that protect the user from electric shock.