How does rise in power consumption presents risk in older homes?

There are many lovely older homes in Queensland that people are very comfortable living in. Usually, they are well maintained, but the state of their electrical wiring can be questionable. Ask your local electrician on the Gold Coast to check your wiring and bring it up to date with the latest safety features to protect your family and help prevent the possibility of electrical fires

One sign your electrical wiring in an older home needs urgent attention is a sudden and unexpected surge in your power consumption and electrical charges.

These potential problems may be the cause of high electrical consumption:
Faulty wiring

When there is a fault in your home’s electrical wiring it can cause electrical leakages, forcing up your power consumption. This could be from:

  • Old wires losing their protective insulating covering because of old age and become brittle and cracked
  • Damage caused by rodents or insects eating through the plastic insulation
  • Storm and water damage
  • When the original wiring was installed, it’s expected loading was much lower, but now adding extra appliances to the same circuitry means more current is being drawn through your wiring than it can cope. This could cause overheating and damage to connections, switches and wires causing electrical leakages

Most of your internal wiring will be concealed inside walls, in the ceiling or under the floor so isn’t visible. Ask your friendly local electrician on The Gold Coast to check your wiring and make any necessary repairs. By law, only qualified and licensed electricians are allowed to work on any household electrical wiring

Faulty Appliances

If you have not changed your electrical appliance usage, but suddenly start using more electricity, then you may have some faulty appliances. If the thermostat on your water heating system stops working properly, it may cause the water heating elements to be on all the time using a lot of power.

If the switches that control your air conditioner settings are faulty you air con may be working overtime driving up your power usage.

Other older appliances may be worn out, this could cause them to start using more electricity to do the same job. Have your electrician on The Gold Coast check them for faults as they could be a fire hazard as well as expensive to run.

No Apparent Reason

If you can’t find a reason for a rise in your power consumption, it may be you have a damaged meter, so ask your electricity supplier to check your meter and to make sure they have not made a mistake in calculating your power consumption and power bill.

Your local electrician on the Gold Coast can also check your wiring and the meter to see if there is a problem there.

Have more power outlets installed so you can avoid drawing too much power from any one circuit or outlet

If you find you’re suddenly faced with a larger than expected power bill, but your usage has not changed, you need to call your friendly local electrician on The Gold Coast to have your wiring and appliances checked to find the cause. Having any necessary repairs done will not only help reduce your power consumption and eventual power bill, but it will ensure your home is safe from electrical problems and a risk of electrical fires.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *