Modern lifestyles require a range of appliances, so we must expect that they will eventually need to be repaired or replaced. Most people consider the only problem when damaged or faulty is with the appliance, but unfortunately, a faulty appliance can cause a range of problems around the home. If you have any doubts about any of your appliances talk with your local electrician in Elanora. They will advise you on whether they can be repaired or need to be replaced. These are some of the problems, faulty appliances can cause:
- Surge Damage
When a damaged electrical appliance fizzle’s or shorts out, it sends a large amount of electricity through your electrical system, causing your circuit breaker to trip, breaking the circuit. This safety mechanism is there to protect you from electrical shock and your property from a possible fire hazard.
It’s very important once tripped, not to reset the circuit breaker until you have discovered the problem and unplugged or disconnected the faulty unit from the circuit.
Many electrical devices such as computers have sensitive microprocessors that are easily damaged from power surges. Refrigerators, air conditioning units, electric ranges and other devices with automatic temperature controls use a lot of current when in use, as they turn off and on they can cause minor power surges in circuits.
Any malfunctioning appliances on the same circuit can intensify these surges resulting in permanent damage, sometimes instantly or gradually over time reducing their working life.
It only takes a fraction of a second for an overload or power surge to damage power outlets, switches and connections making them defective and potentially dangerous. For your safety, it’s important to call your local electrician in Elanora to have your whole system checked in the event of an appliance malfunction.
Damaged appliances can cause electrical shorts that heat up rapidly posing a fire hazard. They can start as very small sparks or miniature fires on dust or any inflammable material on an instant and grow rapidly into a life or property threatening situation.
Power surges can cause wires to heat up because they are unable to cope with the extra load placed on them. This heating can destroy the insulation cover and set it on fire
Signs of a Broken Appliance
- When your circuit breakers trip out, it’s often because an appliance is damaged or near the end of its working life
- If witches stop working it often means they have been damaged by a power surge from a damaged appliance
- Any sign or smell of smoke indicated a faulty appliance
- Heating up of appliances, cords or switches indicates the appliance is damaged and should not be used
- Any new noise or change in the usual noises an appliance makes shows it’s developing a fault
- Any change in the appliance’s performance level indicates it’s no longer working properly and needs to be serviced or replaced
- Lights, screens, switches or buttons that no longer work suggests that an appliance needs to be serviced or replaced
Electrical appliances have a limited service life and so it’s important to check them if you suspect they may be damaged to talk with your local electrician in Elanora, especially if your circuit breakers or surge protectors trip out.