Almost a third of home electrical fires involve power outlets and interior house wiring. The old electrical system in your home can be a potential fire hazard and may need to be repaired or updated. Ask your friendly Electrician on the Gold Coast to give you advice and quote on making sure your home or business is safe.
Having a complete rewire of your home, including a new electrical switchboard may be a large expense, but that price is relatively small compared to the cost and possible loss of life or property that occurs during a fire. It’s important to keep your home and family safe.
Warning signs you may need help
Electricity is invisible, but there are often signs you can see when there are potential problems with your electrical system. If you do notice any of these warning signs, it is vital that you have, have an electrician inspect your electrical system:
- If your fuses blow frequent or you often have tripped breakers
- If you have an over- fused or amped electrical panel
- If you experience the dimming or flickering lights of any lights, this indicates the circuit has a loose connection or is overloaded
- If you have any hot or discolored switches, power cords or plugs
- Do your light bulbs frequently burn out in their socket, this is a sign a fixture can’t handle the bulb wattage?
- Do you ever get buzzing or sizzling sounds?
- Do you ever have a burning smell?
- Are there ever arcs or sparks from any electrical connections, especially when you plug or unplug a cord?
- Are some of your switches or outlets lose or worn?
- Does any of your electrical fittings have cut or broken insulation?
- Have you ever felt an electric shock or a tingly sensation when you plug in or touch a cord?
Other reasons to check the wiring
Even if you have not noticed any warning signs that you might have faulty wiring, it’s a very good idea to make sure you have your home’s electrical system inspected periodically.
Electrical codes can vary depending on where you live, but in Queensland, there are a lot of common situations that really warrant you having an inspection by a qualified professional.
- Is your home over 40 years old?
- Do you rely on using extension cords for power?
- Have you had major home improvements done or maybe just added a few major appliances, these could strain your existing electrical system?
- Is your home properly grounded?
- Does your home have aluminium instead of copper wiring?
- Have you a problem with critters that have been sharing your home, rats, mice and other small animals love to chew the insulation away from electric wiring and ants build nests in junction boxes and switches.
Even if you don’t see any problem or any of these warning signs, It is far better to be safe than sorry so have an Electrician on the Gold Coast do an inspection soon.
There are many fires in Queensland that could have been prevented by having a properly qualified and experienced electrician check your home wiring ensuring the safety of your family and your possessions. Ask your friendly local electrician for a quote today